This post is Part Three in a series on the brain and consciousness. For more on the specifics of each level, including what is happening in the brain, see Part One and Part Two. For a complete overview of the Seven Levels of Effectiveness, Click Here.
I can’t; what’s the point; yeah but; you don’t understand; that won’t work; I’m worthless; resigned/passive victimhood; unable to see ANY other perspective. Saboteur voice is so loud client cannot differentiate saboteur from self.
Heavy, dense, tired, sad; coach can get sucked in and lose their own trust in the process
- Holding client in light and perfection
- Referral if necessary
- Process—using metaphor to be present to the energy
What if ______ happens? It’s too risky; I need to be careful; I don’t do that sort of thing; (FEAR = False Evidence Appearing Real); stuckness.
Jangled, frenetic, and/or frozen, pulling away, backing up, client disappears
- Process—loving the fear
- Baby steps with accountability (create new evidence)
- Pointing to other areas of success
- Presencing the internal judge/saboteur
It’s not my fault; they did it to me; I need to get even; I’m better than s/he is; why is everyone else so much luckier than me? Complaints; blame things or people outside me; victim/retribution. I need to prove myself, justifications.
Hot, volatile, unstable, dangerous, unpredictable
- Help them focus on being a solution instead of a problem
- Fulfillment/values—who do you want to be?
- Strengths focus
- Calling forth the highest self
Maybe; I might as well try; it can’t be any worse; it’s time
Unstable possibility; going for it without the evidence
- Any standard coaching strategies should work, however tight accountability is key because courage wanes on its own
- Baby steps with celebration
Let’s; I have an idea; what do you think of this? I think I can try that; let me tell you what I did this week that worked, email updates
Eager, willing, reaching out, part of something bigger, open heart
- Make sure there is a good mix of forwarding the action and deepening the learning
- Any competent coaching works great at this level and most coaching clients come to you in this level
- Vision / future self
I can see my patterns; what I have been doing no longer makes sense so I need a new way; what are the resources I can use; open to possibilities
Solid, thoughtful, reflective, unattached, open mind
- Share research-based information (brain, consciousness)
- Back off on tight accountability—if a person is truly in this level, they don’t need it
- Absolute honesty and truth telling, they can take it and are hungry for it
I have basically no complaints; I can see the blessing/gift; I need to shift something for myself in this situation
Peaceful, easy, joyous, light, open soul
- At this level, coaching needs a light touch
- Guided meditations, non-traditional methodologies such as Tarot, Numerology etc.
- Speak to spiritual perfection, hold paradox of human/spiritual
- Coach’s intuition
- Coaching becomes more of a partnership exploration and less traditional
- Focus on gratitude
- 7 Levels – teach client this and start using the language. Simple questions like “what level are you in now?” and “what level do you want to be in?” are surprisingly effective
- Teaching about basic brain function (amygdala hijack)
- Mirror neurons – your body (as the coach) knows what is going on over there (in the client)
- At all levels, encouraging mindfulness of any form can also be hugely effective, either in the coaching session (as guided meditation or process coaching) or as homework